Breathwork is the healing practice which for many years was overlooked by western medicine. It can get to the root of many problems helping us to breathe clarity into situations that feel out of our control.
In the world we currently live in, we can feel stressed, scared and overburdened with day to day events. Becoming overly stressed or anxious can trigger our “fight or flight” stress response.
We can use conscious breathing to help manage this type of response to certain situations helping us to restore calm.
By combining conscious breathing and crystals together, they can provide healing on both a physical and energetic level. For stress and anxiety we would recommend combining Amethyst, Rose Quartz or Clear Quartz with mindful breathing techniques. Each crystal has different properties which help aid, stress, anxiety and pain from losses. Before starting your practice, cleanse the area first. You can use sage, Sandalwood, and Cedarwood as smudging sticks. Light one end of your smudging stick and then blow out the flame, let the smoke blow over your crystals and the space around you. If you don’t have any of this to hand then you can also visualise smoke clearing out and cleansing the space around you.
Before starting your practice decide what words you would like to focus on. This can be something like ‘ I am safe’ or ‘ Everything is calm.’ You can focus on this whilst you exhale any negative energy, stress and emotions.
Mindful breathwork practice for anxiety
- Lay or sit in a comfortable position in a space where you won't be disturbed.
- Take your crystal in your left hand as this is your receiving hand and say ‘ I allow your energy to restore calm and serenity into my day’
- Mentally scan your body, bringing awareness to your natural breathing pattern.
- Place your right hand on your stomach.
- Take a slow, deep breath through your nose, noticing your belly and upper body expanding.
- With every breath let the air fill up your belly, rib cage and upper chest.
- Exhale at a slow and steady pace allowing the air to fully leave your belly and upper body.
- Inhale for the count of four and hold for the count of seven.
- Exhale for the count of eight focusing the exhale on your chosen words ‘ I am safe’ or ‘All is calm’
- Imagine with every inhale you are breathing in life and light and with every exhale release any negativity or stress stored.
- Repeat this technique for around 20 minutes.
- If you get distracted, do not worry. Instead, gently bring your attention back to your breath and your words ‘I am calm’ and ‘I am Safe’
You can use mindful or conscious breathing to deepen awareness of yourself. It can help to make sense of whatever may be going on in our life enabling you to stay present without fear or anxiety.